On June 14, Flag Day, American Legion posts often hold a proper flag retirement ceremony or participate in community celebrations. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect communities nationwide, please share on legiontown.org how your post is still making an effort to honor Flag Day.
The American Legion National Headquarters has resources available for posts and members to use on June 14.
- Download the Flag Day speech for 2020 here.
- Visit www.legion.org/flag for flag FAQs, myths, flag-folding procedures and videos, and more.
- Sign up for the Flag Alert e-newsletter at www.legion.org/newsletters that provides notification when the U.S. flag is to be displayed at half-staff.
- Subscribe to the Flag Alert text notifications. First, text Flag to 534466. You will receive a text asking for a valid email address for the two-step authorization. Once that is complete, you will receive the text alerts.
- Purchase the "Let's Be Right on Flag Etiquette" for $1 apiece through Emblem Sales. The 32-page booklet outlines the Flag Code, features visuals on how to properly display and fold the flag, highlights the Top 10 flag myths, answers frequently asked questions and much more.
- Download for free the "Let the People Decide" brochure that highlights The American Legion's position on flag desecration. The American Legion has been leading the fight to protect Old Glory since a 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court decision in 1989 defined flag desecration as protected speech.
And a 7 p.m. EDT on June 14 is the annual Pause for the Pledge.